Light and moist, these muffins rely on bananas and dark chocolate for their flavor, along with rolled oats and amaranth for a nice hearty texture. If you crave a little chocolate this month, we offer up this breakfast delight from Executive Chef Reyna and her culinary team. And the benefits of Amaranth in your diet can be found in this article by Registered Dietician Linda Illingworth.
Makes about 12
2 bananas, ripe
½ cup coconut or almond milk
¼ cup agave or maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
¼ cup coconut or safflower oil
¼ cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
1 pinch sea salt
2 tsp flaxseed, hydrated with ¼ cup water
1 ¼ cup gluten-free or all-purpose flour
1 ½ cups rolled oats
½ cup popped amaranth
½ cup 70% dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- Pre-heat the oven at 350°F and grease a muffin mold or line with cupcake liners.
- Place the peeled bananas, milk, agave, vanilla, oil, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt and hydrated flax seed in the blender.
- Blend until all the ingredients are combined and pour the batter into a bowl.
- Gently fold in the sifted flour and rolled oats. Lastly, add the popped amaranth and chopped dark chocolate.
- With the help of a scoop, place the batter in the lined muffin molds.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean after piercing a muffin in the center.
- Let cool on a wire rack and serve.