Mother’s Day comes at the perfect time of year. With their bursts of color, spring flowers are little accents of joy as we walk around The Ranch and work at our farm. These delicious shortbread cookies from our culinary team are sprinkled with beautiful spring flowers from Tres Estrellas. It’s the perfect balance of spring beauty and sweet oaty cookie-ness. So, for all the moms out there, we offer this cookie recipe.
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour (you can substitute with gluten-free, coconut, or almond flour)
1 cup oatmeal flour (grind your oatmeal in the blender and voilà!)
½ cup brown or coconut sugar
1 pinch salt
1 tsp vanilla extract or rose water
1 cup butter, softened (you can substitute with vegan butter)
½ cup pistachios, finely chopped
1 cup edible flower petals (marigold, rose, bachelor’s button, violas, carnations, borage)
- Combine the flour, sugar, and salt in a bowl.
- Add the softened butter and vanilla or rose water.
- Knead the dough until it comes together, add the chopped pistachios and form a ball. Be careful not to overwork your dough. When you feel it become a little firm, that’s enough.
- Let it sit in the fridge, covered with a towel or plastic wrap, at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Place a silicone mat or parchment paper on top of a table and sprinkle some flour on it. Place the chilled dough in the center of the paper. Cover with another mat or parchment paper and roll out to a ¼ inch thickness.
- Remove the parchment paper from the top and place the rolled dough in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Cut with your favorite cookie cutter and bake in a lined sheet pan for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove the sheet pan from the oven and gently press the flower petals onto the hot cookies. Don’t press too hard; the heat of the cookies will help them adhere.
- Let the cookies completely cool before moving them. While hot, they will be soft and might crumble.
- Once cool, place them in a cookie jar and offer them as a gift or enjoy at home.