Friday at The Ranch always arrives with anticipation. Not because it’s the end of the week for many of our guests (we love you, stay with us longer?), but because it’s the day the dining hall serves THE FRIDAY OATMEAL COOKIE! Chef Reyna has updated this tasty treat so we are serving up this recipe until we can all eat them together again.
2 sticks of butter, cut into cubes
2/3 cup brown sugar
½ cup all-purpose pastry flour
½ cup whole-wheat flour
½ tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 pinch of salt
½ cup almond milk
2/3 cup rolled oats
2 cups whole-grain cereal, like Mesa Sunrise®
1/3 cup almonds, chopped
1/3 cup dried cranberries
¼ cup cacao nibs
½ cup roughly chopped chunks of dark chocolate, 70% cacao, for on top
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or vegetable oil.
- Cream the butter with the brown sugar. Once you have a fluffy texture, gently add the eggs. Be sure that the eggs and the butter are at the same temperature to prevent the separation of the mixture.
- Blend in the flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, vanilla, salt, and milk.
- Gently incorporate the rolled oats, cereal, almonds, cacao nibs and cranberries. You should have a semi-firm texture that is easy to scoop.
- Scoop the dough on the lined baking sheet leaving at least 1 ½ inches between each cookie. Place a chunk of chocolate on top of each cookie and let sit in the fridge at least for 1 hour, preferably overnight. When we make these at The Ranch, we refrigerate unbaked cookies overnight for a crispier and denser cookie.
- Preheat the oven to 325° F about 15 minutes before baking your cookies.
- Bake the cookies for 25-30 minutes, or until they turn golden brown and can easily separate from the cookie sheet.
- Let them cool and enjoy! You can store them at room temperature in an airtight container up to one week, but they are so delicious they will not last long.
See more tasty treat recipes.