This healthy green bean recipe is extremely easy to make and smells divine! I love the flavor combination of the orange essence with the pecans and sage. It’s a beautiful side dish, a perfect recipe to add to your holiday menu.
Courtesy of Chef Barbara Pool Fenzl, who recently taught hands-on cooking classes at The Ranch.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup finely chopped shallots
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 ½ pounds green beans, trimmed
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh sage
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- ¾ cup pecans, toasted, and coarsely chopped
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and then add shallots, orange zest and cayenne.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until shallots are softened, about two minutes.
- Add green beans, broth, orange juice, and sage.
- Increase the heat to medium-high, cover, and cook until beans are crisp-tender, about four minutes.
- Uncover and cook, until beans are tender and sauce has reduced slightly, about four minutes.
- Turn off the heat, season with salt and pepper, sprinkle with pecans, and serve.