Pico de Gallo is a fresh and healthy crowd-pleaser, whether as a dip or a condiment for your favorite seafoods or salads. The commingling of tomatoes, onions, cilantro, chiles and fresh lime celebrates the summer harvest. You may adjust the proportions of tomatoes and other ingredients to your liking, or sub bell peppers for the chiles altogether for a sweeter and mild salsa fresca, but ripe tomatoes are a must. Be generous with the lime juice to get a citrusy burst of flavor. Use it in tacos, atop scrambled eggs on tortillas, inside cheesy quesadillas…anywhere a piquant jolt helps bring the taste buds to life!
- 4 large Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced 1/4 -inch
- 1 small jalapeño or serrano chile, seeded and minced (optional)
- 1/2 cup finely diced white or red onion*
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, or more to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
*White onion is the traditional choice in Mexico.
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and use as a dip or use as a topper on your favorite summertime dish. This recipe makes about two cups of pico de gallo. Enjoy!