These sliders are the best of both worlds; they satisfy BBQ cravings and are vegetarian. Who knew the bulbous jackfruit makes such a delicious complement to summer?! When you add Herbed Yogurt Dressing, your sliders will be all dressed up and ready to go. This BBQ Jackfruit Slider recipe, from the wonderful Katie Farina of Katie’s Healing Kitchen, is written with two parts, the sliders and ranch dressing.
Yields 8 Sliders.
- 1 (20 ounce) can jackfruit in brine, drained + rinsed (available at Trader Joe’s)
- Your favorite BBQ sauce
- 1 bag shredded cabbage
- Herbed Yogurt Ranch Dressing (see recipe below)
- Gluten-free slider buns (I like “Little Northern Bakehouse”)
- Pulse jackfruit in a food processor until crumbly consistency, about 30 seconds. Alternatively, you can loosely chop the fruit into bite-size pieces.
- Add jackfruit to a small pot and add the desired amount of BBQ sauce, simmer for 20 minutes on low, stirring occasionally. I used about a cup and a half of BBQ sauce, but it’s hard to go wrong with a good sauce.
- Toss cabbage with the desired amount of Herbed Yogurt Ranch.
- Gently toast buns, top with BBQ jackfruit and ranch slaw. Enjoy immediately.
Herbed Yogurt Ranch Dressing
- 1/4 cup vegan mayo of choice
- 1/4 cup vegan plain unsweetened yogurt of choice (I like “Kite Hill”)
- 2 small garlic cloves, minced
- 2 green onions, finely minced
- A small handful of dill, finely chopped
- juice of 1/2 lemon, or more to taste
- salt to taste
Directions: Whisk together all ingredients and salt to taste.
See more recipes from our Guest Chefs and from The Ranch.