We look forward to spring, not just for the weather and flowers but also for the satisfying crunch of our freshly-harvested sweet organic carrots. For a nutritious and delightful treat try this twist on a classic; chilled Carrot-Date Cake topped with a nutty and silky-smooth cashew cream. There’s no baking required. We liked ours formed in little egg shape silicon molds or a 9×9 square pan.
Makes 16-20 small bites.
Ingredients for the cake
1 cup packed pitted Medjool dates (measured pitted)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 ¼ cups raw walnuts
1 pinch sea salt
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon ground allspice
1 cup finely shredded carrots
¼ cup gluten-free oatmeal flour
2 tablespoons yellow raisins or cranberries
Ingredients for the cream
½ cup unsalted raw cashews, soaked in warm water
¼ cup chilled full-fat coconut cream
½ tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon agave, maple, or date syrup
½ vanilla bean
¼ cup carrot noodles
1 bunch fresh mint
Edible flowers, optional
- In a food processor, blend the pitted dates until small bits remain. Remove from the food processor and set aside.
- Add the vanilla extract, walnuts, salt, and spices and process until a semi-fine meal is formed. Then add the dates back in, along with the shredded carrots and pulse until a loose dough forms and the carrots are just incorporated. Be careful not to over-blend, you don’t want to purée the ingredients.
- Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl. Add the oatmeal flour and yellow raisins and mix gently to combine. Once well combined, set aside.
- Prepare small round silicone molds or 9×9 pan and add the carrot cake mixture by spreading and pressing down evenly to pack the dough. Use a flat -bottomed object to help pressing into an even layer and leave a small headspace to fill with the cashew cream. Refrigerate until the cashew cream is ready.
Cashew Cream Directions
- In a high-speed blender, add the strained soaked cashews, chilled coconut cream, lemon juice, syrup, cut the vanilla bean in half and carefully scrape the seeds, add the vanilla seeds and blend until very creamy and smooth.
- Pour the cream on top of the molds and freeze for 2 hours or until the frosting is semi-firm to the touch. Make sure the cake is fully frozen so it’s easier to unmold. Let the cake thaw for 10 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with carrot noodles, edible flowers, and fresh mint.