As we safely gather together with friends and family this summer, these traditional-style ceviche tostadas are a wonderful expression of togetherness as they bring together the deliciousness of the sea and the land.
Thanks to the bounty of our land and culture, Mexico’s cuisine is recognized as an Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity by UNESCO.
I invite you to celebrate summer with our fresh vegetarian cauliflower ceviche, which can be prepared with shrimp or lentils. The salsa macha is a wonderful topping on any meal. It will spice up your dishes with a delicious smoky and peppery twist.
Makes 6-8 tostadas
There are three units to this easy recipe; the ceviche, the salsa, and assembly.
Ingredients for Cauliflower Ceviche
4 cups water
½ head of cauliflower, small diced florets
1 cup cooked shrimp, you can substitute with 1 cup cooked brown or green lentils
1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, cut in half
1 cup cucumber, seeded and finely diced
2 celery ribs, finely diced
1/2 cup corn kernels, cooked
¼ red onion, finely diced
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1 cup carrots, shredded
1 serrano or jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
¼ inch ginger, peeled and minced
¼ cup lime juice-divided
1 tablespoon tamari or coconut aminos
1 tablespoon dried oregano
Salt and pepper, to taste
¼ cup chopped mint and cilantro
Method for Cauliflower Ceviche
- In a medium pot, boil 4 cups of water. Add the cauliflower florets and cook for 1 minute. Discard the water and place the cauliflower in a bowl of iced water to stop the cooking process. The cauliflower should be crispy, be careful not to overcook it.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooled cauliflower, shrimp or lentils, tomato, cucumber, celery, corn, red onion, green onion, carrots, jalapeño and ginger. Season with lime juice and a dash of tamari or coconut aminos, oregano, sea salt and pepper to taste. Finish by adding the fresh herbs and reserve covered in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Ingredients for Salsa Macha
20 árbol chiles*
2 ancho chiles
4 garlic cloves
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
Method for Salsa
- Heat up a medium skillet and toast the chiles and garlic, add the sesame seeds and toast covered for a couple minutes. Add the olive oil and turn off the heat.
- Let the mixture steep in the oil until completely cool. Blend and place in an airtight container or glass jar until ready to serve.
* If you want to make mild salsa you can substitute árbol chiles with guajillo chiles.
Ingredients for Assembly
1 large avocado, mashed
Assemble the Tostadas
- Spread each tostada with some mashed avocado seasoned with lime juice, salt and pepper.
- Pour a generous spoonful of ceviche, top with a drizzle of salsa macha, a sprinkle of cilantro and fresh herbs.
Download the recipe Ceviche Tostadas with Avocado
Take a deeper dive into our recipe collection.