At The Ranch, you can relax and unwind, knowing that we have taken care of all the details.
We have always been committed to health and safety, and recently updated our stringent wellness policies to include the Center for Disease Control’s COVID-19 protocol and the Mexican government’s safety policy. The Ranch has also worked closely with a team of medical professionals to provide guests with an experience that goes above and beyond mandatory health requirements.
- Guests who are not fully vaccinated are required to provide proof of a negative antigen or PCR COVID-19 test taken within 5-days of arrival. Guests are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after their second dose in a two-dose series, such as the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, or two weeks after a single-dose vaccine, such as Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen vaccine. (Information taken from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website on April 5, 2021.)
- Guests who are fully vaccinated are required to provide their vaccination records. Guests are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after their second dose in a two-dose series, such as the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, or two weeks after a single-dose vaccine, such as Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen vaccine. (Information taken from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website on April 5, 2021.)
Stay On-Property Request
- To further protect staff and guests from potential exposure, we ask that guests remain on the Rancho La Puerta property for the entirety of their stay.
Guests must wear facial coverings at all times, except while:
- indoors in casitas
- outdoors, while maintaining six feet of social distance
- Social distancing is encouraged at all areas of The Ranch and in vehicles, and floor decals help maintain six foot spacing.
Guest Temperature Checks
- Our staff administers temperature checks on guests at the San Diego airport or border. For the safety and wellbeing of the staff and other guests, if you have a 99.5° or higher fever, we regret that we cannot welcome you to our property. In the rare event that you have a fever, The Ranch will do its best to help you.
- Guests receive temperature checks upon arriving for dinner at the Dining Hall.
Rigorous and frequent cleaning, sanitization, and disinfection are performed throughout the entire Ranch and its vehicles. Ultraviolet lights, nebulizers, and ozone machines are also used in select areas.
Services and Classes
- We follow all COVID-19 guidelines from the CDC, the Mexican government, and California (USA) for one-on-one services and group activities. Our classes are small and have staggered times to allow for sanitizing equipment afterward. Activities are socially distanced and take place outdoors as much as possible. Signup is required for classes, and additional sessions are added if necessary.
- Notices are placed on the outside of each casita to indicate that it has been thoroughly cleaned, sanitized, and disinfected.
- Increased mealtime hours allow for socially distanced seating. Plexiglass coverings protect cuisine in the Dining Hall, and lunch and breakfast are now pre-plated.
- Enjoy your favorite spa and beauty treatments. Spa therapists wear facial coverings at all times and will also use gloves and a face shield when necessary. We sanitize all spa tools, linens, and surfaces before and after every use.
- Spas: jacuzzis (2 at a time). Saunas and infrared require sign up (1 at a time, 20 min max).
- Fresh robes and comfortable spa slippers are placed in lockers before use, and signup is required to use saunas and hot tubs.
Clean Hands and Feet
- Touch-free handwashing stations and shoe disinfecting mats are located outside of gyms.
- Any guest with wellness concerns can return to their casita and call The Ranch’s nurse for assistance.
Guest COVID-19 Health and Safety Pledge
- Before arrival, we ask guests to commit to health and safety guidelines to honor the wellbeing of The Ranch and the greater community.
- We care deeply about Ranch employees. Staff exercise increased precautions to protect their wellbeing, the safety of our guests, and the health of the community. Employees are well taken care of and can stay home without repercussions if they do not feel well.
- Our staff are extensively trained on COVID-19 safety measures and received certification on health practices through the Mexican Institute of Social Insurance.
- All staff wear masks when they are within six feet of others. When appropriate to their activities, staff also use face shields, safety goggles and/or gloves (i.e. facialist, housekeepers, dining hall staff).
We are committed to connecting with you about questions regarding Rancho La Puerta’s covid protocols.
At The Ranch, fragrant gardens continue to bloom, scenic trails await guests, and nature gifts us infinite beauty. The community that you have come to call your “home” is still here. From the moment we greet you to the moment you depart, you’ll notice The Ranch has implemented rigorous health precautions.
Staff wears facial coverings and gloves when appropriate, and all vehicles and areas throughout The Ranch are frequently cleaned, sanitized, and disinfected. Guests will wear facial coverings and be socially distanced while in transit to and from the San Diego airport. You’ll have your temperature taken before entering the property. We have a swift new check-in and check-out process, and casitas are sterilized between guest visits. To further protect staff and guests from potential exposure, we ask that you stay property for the entirety of your visit.
You’ll participate in smaller classes and more outdoor activities. Pools and hot tubs are chlorinated, and Health Centers require facility signups. Meal hours are increased to allow for fewer people at each table. Plexiglass culinary covers are in the Dining Hall, and all food is pre-plated. La Cocina Que Canta’s cooking classes will have a limited number of guests.
Ranch health and beauty centers warmly invite guests to enjoy all their favorite spa treatments. Spa therapists wear facial coverings at all times and will also use gloves and a face shield when administering facials. Manicures and pedicures are available. Have peace of mind knowing that we sanitize all spa tools, linens, and surfaces before and after every use.
In many ways, your Ranch retreat is more meaningful now than it has ever been. You can expect us to have the same warmth and familiarity that you’ve known and love. We are committed as ever to giving you the best experience; your presence inspires us in every way.
- If you have not already, please provide an emergency contact phone number of somebody who is not traveling with you to an Experience Planner.
- Pack 14-days of medication with you, and a list of the names, strengths, and dosages of all medications in case refills are required.
- Ensure that your mobile phone has an international travel plan inclusive of voice and data.
- Please purchase your Mexico tourist visa before traveling (see how)
- Take our Guest Self-Assessment Wellness Questionnaire
- Sign our COVID-19 Consent, Release, and Waiver of Liability Form
- If you will be fully vaccinated by your arrival date, please email your vaccination records to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are not fully vaccinated, please take a COVID-19 test within 5-days of arrival. Email a copy of your negative test results to email@example.com.
- Canadian residents and citizens who wish to return to Canada must depart through the Tijuana airport.
We now ask that Ranch guests either provide proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 OR show proof of a negative COVID test taken within 5-days of arrival. If you are vaccinated, please send us copy of your vaccine records upon making your Ranch reservation. If you take a test, please email us a copy of your negative result as soon as you receive it. Our email is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Guests are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after their second dose in a two-dose series, such as the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, or two weeks after a single-dose vaccine, such as Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen vaccine. (Information taken from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website on April 5, 2021.)
- If you are not vaccinated and test positive for COVID-19, we regret that we cannot welcome you to our property until you have quarantined and have a negative test result.
Please purchase and print your tourist visa (Forma Migratoria Múltiple, or FMM) and payment receipt prior to arrival. Here is a step by step guide on how to obtain your tourist visa.
Visit https://www.inm.gob.mx/fmme/publico/en/solicitud.html to obtain your visa, and save the payment receipt when it is generated. Your visa will be emailed to you. Please email your visa and payment receipt to email@example.com before you arrive.
Your wellbeing is our priority, and we will do everything we can to take care of you. We have a nurse at The Ranch, and a doctor available on call. COVID-19 tests are available for a fee, and if you test positive, we will help arrange for medical treatment.
Bus transportation from the San Diego International Airport to the U.S./Tecate border will be provided at set times. We work with Sundance Stage Lines, and its buses follow stringent CDC protocols:
- Buses will be filled to about half capacity to allow for social distancing.
- Drivers and guests must wear facial coverings on the bus and on all Ranch vehicles.
- Buses are thoroughly cleaned and sanitized before and after use.
Private transportation to and from the U.S./Tecate border may be arranged through the Orange Cab Company (619) 291-3333, Presidential Limo ( call 619702-7737 or email firstname.lastname@example.org).
Once you arrive at the border, a Ranch representative will meet you – see, “What can I expect when I cross the border?” for details.
Learn more about how to get to The Ranch here:
U.S. and Mexico border officials continue to allow all U.S. citizens and residents to go to and from Mexico with proper documentation and visas. Our closest border crossing, the Tecate Port of Entry into the U.S.A., is open to both vehicle and pedestrian traffic.
The border hours at the Tecate port of entry have changed to be open from Monday – Friday, 6 am to 2pm, and Saturday – Sunday, 8 am to 4 pm.
We still offer transportation services from the San Diego International Airport and the Tecate border crossing to The Ranch and recommend you walk across the border. Our reservations department is happy to assist you with your journey.
Crossing the border will be as easy as ever. When you meet our staff at the San Diego airport or border, we will ask for your passport and a printed copy of your Mexico tourist visa and payment receipt. We will process the paperwork for you. We will sanitize the exterior of your passport before returning it back to you.
It is possible that you will have your temperature taken at the border. As you cross into Mexico, you may have to place your luggage, one bag at a time, on an X-ray machine. Once in Mexico, we will take your luggage and place it in a Ranch van. Upon arriving to The Ranch, our staff will handle your bags, sanitize them, and bring them to your casita.
Driving or Walking Across the Border
Although proof of a negative COVID-19 test is not required for people who walk across the Mexico-U.S. border in either direction, it is required to arrive at Rancho La Puerta.
Flying from Mexico to the U.S.
Proof of a negative COVID-19 test is not required to fly into Mexico. If you plan to fly from Mexico to the United States, you will need to have a COVID-19 test no more than three days before you travel and show your negative result to the airline. Alternatively, you can show the airline documentation of a recent COVID-19 recovery. Visit the CDC website for more details. Arrangements for testing can be made while on property.
We are in constant communication with the USA–Tecate Border Officials and the Mexican Immigration Authorities for updates on border crossing information. If the border temporarily closes, we will receive advanced notice. At that point, we will work with the authorities so our guests can travel before the closure with little or no impact. The worst-case scenario would be that you are “stuck” in paradise for an extra night or two…on us!
Our staff will perform temperature checks on all guests at the San Diego airport or border. For the staff and other guests’ safety and wellbeing, if you have a temperature of 99.5° F or higher, we regret that we cannot welcome you to our property. In the rare event that you have a fever, The Ranch will do its best to help you.
Hours: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m., 7 days a week
(Closed: 12–1 p.m. for lunch, and on UC San Diego holidays)
203 West F St.
San Diego, CA 92101
7565 Mission Valley Road
San Diego, CA 92108
Walk-In Clinic Hours
Mon – Fri: 8 am – 5 pm
Sat – Sun: 8 am – 5 pm
Holidays: 8 am – 5 pm
300 Fir St.
San Diego, CA 92101
Daily, 8 am to 8 pm
555 W C St. Suite 102
San Diego, CA 92101
Mon – Fri: 8:00am – 5:00pm | Sat – Sun: 8:00am – 4:30pm