Executive Chef Denise Roa at our cooking school, La Cocina Que Canta, shared this delicious recipe for Mole Verde de Pepita, Green Mole with Roasted Pumpkin Seeds. Instead of cacao to bring out earthy flavors, she’s used roasted pumpkin seeds to add a deeper earthiness to the sauce that was complemented by fresh herbs and green tomatoes. I found green tomatoes in the heirloom tomatoes section of my local organic produce store. They were very flavorful and dense.
¾ cup hulled, unsalted pumpkin seeds, toasted
1/8 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 cup vegetable broth, divided
1 cup green tomatoes, seeded
1 – 4 serrano chilis, optional to taste
¼ medium onion, chopped
2 small cloves garlic, peeled
3 sprigs epazote
2 sprigs fresh coriander
1 small bunch radish leaves, chiffonade for garnish
Hot tortillas or rice, optional, to serve with sauce
- In a medium skillet toast the pumpkin seeds, tossing frequently for three to four minutes. Set aside and let cool.
- Finely grind the toasted and cooled pumpkin seeds with the peppercorns and cumin.
- Place the seed and spice mix in a bowl and stir in half the vegetable broth until smooth. Set aside.
- In a blender, add the seeded tomatoes, onion, garlic, epazote, coriander, and optional serrano chilis. Blend until it’s a smooth puree.
- In a sauce pan heat the tomato puree over a brisk medium to high flame about 10 minutes and slightly reduce the sauce, stirring frequently.
- Lower the flame and slowly stir in the pumpkin sauce. Do not let it come to a boil.
- Add the rest of the broth and use a spatula to stir and scrape the bottom of the pan.
- Add salt to taste.
- Serve with hot tortillas and white rice or red rice.
- Garnish with the radish leaves and a drizzle of olive oil.
- ¡Buen Provecho!