The word “tinga” refers to a very traditional Mexican dish prepared with white meat and a red sauce made of onion, garlic, chipotle chiles, tomato, and spices. Our vegetarian taco version is prepared with mushrooms and lots of love.
½ pound white mushrooms, sliced
½ pound portobello mushrooms, sliced
1 cup diced tomatoes
1 small onion, sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
¼ cup olive oil, divided
1 tsp chipotle in adobo sauce
1 tbsp dried oregano
½ cup chopped cilantro
½ cup chopped parsley
8-12 corn tortillas
2 cups pinto beans, refried
1 lemon, cut into 8 wedges and roasted
- Heat one tablespoon olive oil in a pan on medium high heat and add the onion. Stir occasionally until golden brown.
- Add the tomatoes and garlic, sauté for about two minutes. Until the tomato skins to begin to wrinkle.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until all the liquid has evaporated.
- Add the chipotles, the oregano, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat the beans and tortillas.
- Spread a layer of beans on the warmed tortilla and place a spoonful of the mushroom tinga on top.
- Garnish with chopped parsley, cilantro and a roasted lemon wedge.
- ¡Buen Provecho!